Our Redeemer Evangelical
Origins: Begun with a Sunday school class in the Scotia Theatre in 1924 as a mission of Zion Lutheran Church of Schenectady to minister to English-speaking Lutherans in Scotia, the congregation formed in 1925 and began regular services in the basement of the present church in 1929 and was incorporated in 1942. The church building was completed in 1934, an education building was added in 1959, and a second floor and sanctuary renovation project was completed in 1995.
Present Building: The 1st floor includes the Fellowship Hall with a full kitchen, a handicapped restroom and men's restroom, an entry way with an elevator to four levels. The 2nd floor hosts our small meeting room, Narthex and Church sanctuary which seats 130 comfortably. The undercroft houses Sunday school classrooms and restroom. The 3rd floor includes Pastor's office, clerical office, handicapped restroom (with baby changing station), ladies restroom, church nursery (with professional child care for worship), a classroom which houses our braille press, and a conference room that is also used as a choir room and library.
The People Here Today: Pastor Pamela J. Hoh, directs a staff which includes an administrative assistant, music director, sexton, and nursery director. We worship with Holy Communion 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Sunday morning. Activities taking place between services are Sunday school, adult Christian education, confirmation class, and fellowship time. We hold a Wednesday evening services during Advent and Lent. Choir, children's choir, and chime choir rehearse weekly. We participate in ecumenical gatherings, and worship events. We encourage one another with opportunities for Christian education for all ages; fellowship events for adults, youth, and families; service to our community and world through Women of the ELCA projects, three braille publishing groups, and support of local food pantry, soup kitchen, and day shelter and; financial support of area ministries, Lutheran World Relief, and the ELCA UpState New York Synod. Our Mission partner is the Rengwe Parish in Zimbabwe. Click here to get more information about the Rengwe Parish.